Thursday, August 30, 2007

Zakkattack









How fabulous are these pictures? These images are taken from a book called 'School Bags and Zakka Goods' it's a Japanese craft book I have recently ordered from Chocolateswirl on etsy. Apparently it has been shipped and I cannot wait to receive it! According to Chocolateswirl it has 57 patterns for the cutest 'drawstring bags, bags, shoe bags, lunch bags, place mats, bottle bags, tote bags, pouches, towels, tissue cases, and more! Some extra patterns such as a smock, apron, backpack, towel dress, pool cap, and pen cases as well.'
I already have a small collection of fab Japanese fabrics that I've blogged about before, and I've been wondering what to do with them, I think this book will provide the answer. I intend to make all manner of tote bags, mini purses, and even tissue cases. I'm really loving all things zakka at the moment. Zakka, if you dont know is a type of crafting from Japan. According to Wikipedia, Zakka goods must be ultra cute, and commonly feature unusual fabrics perhaps sporting animal motifs, such as elephants, hedghogs, ladybugs, bunnies and (prefarably cycling) polar bears, or even mushrooms. French motifs are also popular, displaying images of the Eiffel Tower, and cups of coffee, or pastries. However for a good to be considered Zakka, it is not enough to be incredibly cute, oh no, it must also be practical and easy to use. You must be able to fit a decent amount of groceries and personal junk into your tote, your wallet must be able to contain all of your credit cards, coins and train tickets, your tissues must be encased for their protection, and your lunch bag should be compartmentalised to keep napkins and drinks and food all separate.
It is this marriage of aesthetic beauty, enhanced functionality and striking individuality (Believe me you will never meet anyone with the same customized cheque-book cover as you!), that makes Zakka so endearing and guarantees that this Japanese craft is here to stay. Needless to say etsy (I know, I know, I'm obsessed) is crawling with Zakka style crafters, like the fabulous Florspace, as well as sellers who trade in Zakka supplies, like Chocolateswirl who sells pattern books and Matatabi who sells fabulous Japanese fabrics, so go on, Zakka up your life!





No comments: